geekery, drawing and then some
For the past few weeks, in an attempt to cope with the dramatic events in my flat, I’ve done quite a lot of crocheting. I started with a green vest because it looked simple and I almost always feel cold. I found some nice merino-wool and it does indeed keep me warm. Pondering what to do next, I did some small squares, to try out a few stitches.
Next, inspired by Millie’s ripple blanket I decided I wanted to make one too and I ordered a bunch of alpaca wool to make it. One or two of the colours I had planned didn’t look quite right, and while waiting for the other colours to come in, I made some wristwarmers
I found a nice ripple-pattern on Attic 24, started the blanket and then my youngest sister saw photos and commented on how she wanted one as well. So I made her one, made myself a little phone-sock and then finished my blanket.
Perhaps the mild weather helps, because so far, my hands have not hurted at all and I’ve only had discomfort in my arm (less than a handful of times). Surprisingly, writing does hurt. I guess I’ll go with the flow on this one, and crochet myself into oblivion for as long as I can and want to.
I bought a crochet-pattern on Etsy for a bull terrier and made it. My youngest sister has a bull terrier and a Bernese mountain dog, and I made this one for her. I hope to find a nice pattern for the Bernese so I can make that too, or I’ll adjust an existing pattern to make it look like it (for a mobile charm for instance). Hopefully, she’ll like it.
TG said ‘Rude dog!!’ :P (Now, who remembers Rude dog? Come on now, raise your hand!)
I’ve had problems crocheting with my right hand for a while, because my wrist and elbow often get inflamed. I decided to try my hand on some left-handed crocheting. My first try went slow and turned into a wobbly square (pictured on the left). I made one with my right hand (pictured on the right) because I couldn’t quite remember the pattern. It turned out I made a mistake in the pattern so I did another one with left (pictured in the middle) which went a lot better.
After a break I made a hexagon, which also went pretty well. Really pleased with how easily I switched to using left, even though it goes much slower (the hexagon took me an hour) but I suspect it’ll improve over time. I also need to relax my hand a bit more.
I have this habit of stuffing things in my cabinets and forget about them. Hidden behind the doors I don’t see it, so I don’t think about it, or so I hope. But it never works like that. So, today I took an hour or so to declutter my two cabinets in the livingroom. I still have one left (my ‘computercentre’ basically), and feel very good about the progress I made today. The photo shows the before on top and the after at the bottom. I made a few paperwork-stacks that need to migrate to my file-cabinet, a task to big for this evening. I’ll take another hour (or two or three) or so later this week to do it.
I put some drawingsupplies in the cabinet on the left (top-right), and consider putting my yarn and crochet things there too. I crochet in the livingroom, not in my hobby/bedroom (aka ‘the funroom’ ;) )
I tossed out one full garbagebag.
I had this crochet-itch yesterday, wanted to crochet something small. I can’t crochet much thanks to RA but my hands felt good so I looked for my hooks and some yarn and decided to try my hands on a ninja. After some work, this fellow turned out a bit bulky, but not too bad.
After I finished I went looking on the internet and found a whole new world of “amigurumi’s” with patterns and photos. My heart now overflows with belated acknowledgment for the hours I slaved and slaved as a child to crochet cute little creatures. Finally, people get it! Perhaps I can still find them somewhere and make photos…