TannieSpace

geekery, drawing and then some

Posts about programming

Oh yeah, btw…

I got a little tired from the issues I had with WordPress . Not because WordPress doesn’t do what it says it does — it does actually — but because I don’t write that much here anymore and I felt that I only consistently kept the site up-to-date WordPress-wise, and not content-wise. I felt I spent more time on updating than on anything else.

Which — naturally — meant I started fiddling. First, I tried Pelican which I liked and really wanted to use. Then, I stumbled on Nikola

I tried them both and they both seemed to work for me. In the end, I went for Nikola. It seems faster and better at not rebuilding posts unnecessarily.

The migration required the following steps:

  1. Export an xml-file of my WordPress-data (posts and pages).

    Easy enough through the ‘Tools > Export > All Content’ in the WordPress Admin pane (although I must admit it went horribly wrong for me, but in the end, I managed to get a usable file).

  2. Import in Nikola with nikola import_wordpress file.xml

    This did not work for me, it got stuck or crashed even though I checked the file with xmllint. Instead, I downloaded WordPress to Markdown Exporter and converted the xml-file that way. I lost some info, but nothing very dramatic.

  3. Mess around until everything works and looks okay.

    This took the most time because I got distracted by lots of new stuff like Python and RestructeredText. Had fun.

Pretty sure some things didn’t work as expected and I’ve possibly broken some links. However, I delved into my .htaccess file which should redirect old links to their new place. This mattered even more because at the same time I decided to switch domains [1] from http://tanniespace.com to http://tannie.nl . Apparently, when I decide to mess with things, I mess with them thoroughly.

[1] Yes, I love breaking the internet.

The making of an iPhone app, part I

Because my favourite shopper app has now gone mental, I decided I should write my own. I have no idea how to, and have so far not tried writing anything for the iPhone, it should turn into a neat little adventure.

So far, I have read a little on Apple’s iPhone Developer site about Human Interface Guidelines and Planning your app. I’ve also did some looking around and thinking about a database structure, and what kind of things I do and what I don’t want in my app. Currently I have:

  • multiple lists
  • checkboxes to check of items
  • a cart
  • separate totals for ‘in cart’ and ‘on list’
  • item info including: name, category (sort-per-store) and / or aisle, note, store, per-store-price, photo

I haven’t made my mind up about coupons / discounts, because I rarely use them. However, when I do, I like them showing up in the price.

I’d also like to make it so that the lowest price has a visual feedback if you have selected a store — something Handyshopper always did very well. I want the interface as clutterfree as possible, and from what I can tell, I have some pretty good options with the default iPhone thingies.